Friday, April 06, 2007

Beaches

I haven't blogged for a while...so there is quite a bit to catch up on. But I don't really feel like back logging our lives over the past two months. Perhaps I'll save that for another blog...

Today I think I'll write about...humm....

The beach.

Yes, that sounds lovely. Let me start by saying that I miss the beach. I miss living by the beach. I miss being able to look out and see the blue ocean stretching out forever and ever. I miss the deep aqua marine of the ocean balancing the lush green mountains. I miss the whales and the warm water... I'm thinking of the beach in Maui now, but that is not the only beach I miss. I am also rather fond of the beach in La Jolla too. The sunsets there were so pretty. I used to love to watch the sea gulls fight over the picnic left-overs. And I loved the beach at the bay. Ahh the bay, Mission Bay, to be exact. I used to love sliding along its perimeter, grooving to my itunes in the morning. Everything looks so bright and shiny when you're by the water. Yes, California has beautiful beaches too, but there are more.... There is also a beach in Costa Rica that I often think of. I loved the beach in Uvita de Osa. I used to wake up early so I could run before it got too warm and the beach was always empty at that hour. A long empty beach with little fresh water streams flowing through it into the sea. I would run with Oso, the dog...jumping streams and watching the waves roll in. Oso liked to chase the birds I would crack-up laughing every time he tried to catch a flock of sand-pipers! He would run so fast, and bark so loudly and he always missed them by a mile! There is another beach in Oregon that makes me smile when I remember it. A rocky beach at a state park called Shore Acres. When I was in college, I used to go and sit on the rocks on stormy days, and watch the waves crash into the shore. I was so impressed by the power of the ocean! That was the first beach that I fell in love with, but it wasn't the last. I have seen and loved beaches all over this world. Thailand, Australia, Italy... I have the images in my head of these places and I can close my eyes and think of them when I'm far from the sea. Like now. I guess I'm not really that far from the sea. I am in Maryland which is a coastal state...its just that I cant see the water and I cant get to it, so I miss it.

Last weekend, Ryan and I celebrated our first anniversary. We got married in Mexico one year ago overlooking the Pacific ocean, with the sun setting, and the grey whales passing by on their migration. It was beautiful. We decided to commemorate this milestone with a visit to the beach. We went to Ocean Side and stayed in a little hotel next to the boardwalk. I was so happy to see the ocean! We woke up early on Saturday morning (having arrived late the night before) and walked out onto the beach. It was a crisp, cool morning and the sun still had its pink hue. The water was as calm as can be and the beach was damp and empty. It was so beautiful! I now have a new memory to cherish. The Atlantic ocean at sunrise. Needless to say, we had a wonderful weekend at the beach.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home