Saturday, October 07, 2006

Saras Crane Conference


We were invited to join Dr. Boonj for a conference on the Saras Crane at the Lucknow Zoo. We gratefully accepted and then got online to figure out what a Saras crane was. We discovered that is the "worlds largest, flying bird." Interesting, I thought. We arrived a little late. There was alredy a speaker talking as we walked down the center of the room looking for enough seats to accomodate us. Everyone looked at us as we passed. I tried to sink into my bright blue skirt and my burple blouse, feeling bad about causing a disturbance. We took our seats and focused our attention on the speaker, who was speaking in Hindi, so we couldnt really understand him. There were photographers there taking pictures of the speakers from every angle. Once they finished with the speakers they turned their lenses on the crowed and zoomed in on Ryan and I, no doubt looking for proof of an "international attendence" that is so persuave when you've got a cause. I dont know why but I always want to laugh out loud when I get that disproportional amount of attention. It doesnt matter if I'm on the street or in a meeting, I think it is so funny when people want to look at me. I had to bite my lip to keep from laughing when one photographer zoomed in on me! I realize in most cases that people are just curious about me (us) because we look different, in the same way that I am curious about them, but it is still disarming to have people stop and stare at you so intently.

The stage was decorated with flowers (carnations) strung together and hung in the same manner we decorate christmas trees. We sat through the mostly Hindi language speakers. It was interesting to watch the procession. Although the bulk of the talking was in Hindi, ocassionally people would throw in an english word and my mind would click on, then the run of hindi would begin again and my thoughts would wander. (I wonder why only men are speaking, where are all the women?) A couple of speakers gave their entire speaches in English, including the technical speach, which I was grateful for, but I noticed that speakers who used English didn't keep the attention of the crowd as well. The difference between an assembly like this in the US and in India is that in the US you sit there silently bored if you're not interested in/following the speaker. In India you strike up a conversation with your neighbor or talk on your cell phone. I couldn't believe it. At one point the didector of CEE got up to say a few words and he spoke in English. He was talking about the importance of focusing on the birds habitat and the economy that depends on those systems, not on the bird itself, because that is how you motivate people. He was the first person to get up (that I understood) who was actually looking at this birds plight from a realistic perspective and everyone was talking!

We took a much needed tea & cookie break and a man next to me asked me where I was from. I said, "America" (because I've learned that that is understood here, not US or the USA. I should mention that if I said I was from "America" in Central America, they would say, "Me too!"- Meaning that they were from the American continent. You have to say "The United States" or "The States" there.) Anyway, once he knew where I was from he started to tell me his political opinions about world affairs. This is not unusual here, politics are a hot topic and people are not shy about voicing their opions. I dont mind, I usually agree with them, and even if I dont its interesting to see how people feel. Everyone knows I dont like most of what Bush has done, so its not hard for me to chime in on the negative ways that our current administration is affecting the world. I just nod in agreement as they tell me why it was a bad idea to invade Iraq or why we didnt focus on finding Osama in Afganistan instead. I think they are right. I agree that our "foreign relations" have isolated us from the international community. People no longer trust us to do the right thing.

I have noticed a big change in how people feel about America and Americans since the last time I was in this part of the world. Before people thought that Americans, although a little too loud sometimes, were generally compassionate, good-intentioned people. Now, it seems that Americans are viewed as being either greedy-bullies who are out to control the world, or that they are completely disconnected with what is going on in the world. This is not just Indians who voice this opionion, its everyone I've talked to so far; Thais, Europeans, Australians, everyone. The sad part is I cant totally disagree with then. I dont think we really do get a good idea in the US about how our actions affect people in other places. I think that if we were more conscious of what we do we would behave better. Maybe I'm wrong. either way, its going to take us a long time to build back the trust we've lost.

We enjoyed out day at the zoo, its much nicer than the one we visited in Thailand. The animials actually have nice sized pens to live in with trees and water. They fed us a delicious lunch and brought us home in an air-conditioned car! NICE!

Now I'm getting ready to talk to my Mom and Dad online. Yea!

1 Comments:

At 7:59 AM, Blogger Melanie said...

No question where your political views stand is there? Glad your doing something so fun and productive at the same time. Talk to you soon.

Mel

 

Post a Comment

<< Home